Mindbrush
Concept
Mindbrush is an app that promotes mental wellbeing among college students by making aspects of it a daily routine.

Awards
U.Va. Entrepreneurship Cup Concept Stage Winner – 2017
High fidelity prototype of five key screens
Five key screens from an early high fidelity mockup
Challenge & My Role
The challenge was to create a solution that elevates college students' mental wellbeing. This project takes a preemptive approach to a complex problem. The concept arose out of a desire to reduce stress and increase quality of life for the target audience, college students.

I collaborated with two teammates to conduct user research with over 100 U.Va. students. Our research focused on finding barriers among college students (our most immediate and largest audience at the time) in taking care of themselves. We found that students struggled to make more time for the people that matter to them daily due to the busy nature of college life. My initial idea focused on functionality that could automatically schedule meet ups between friends to alleviate the pain of finding a time that works with both parties.

I ideated solutions for a mobile app, designed an interactive prototype, conducted usability tests, and iterated the design. I used Sketch for creating wireframes along with InVision and Adobe xD for the clickable prototype. Branding assets were created in illustrator. I also designed our pitch deck in Keynote.
See the full process
Interaction between two users
Example of an interaction between two users
clickable prototype process
Visualizing the clickable prototype and various flows
Solution
The first iteration included a feature that compares trends between wellbeing and other factors to address results from our research that identified not knowing the cause of their stress was another problem they faced. However, we decided to omit this feature when deciding to turn the concept into a functional product due to the subjective nature of measuring individual wellbeing and lack of access to mobile sensing technology.

We quickly learned that the problem we were addressing was much more complex than we initial thought. Through research, we identified pivot points to narrow our focus and to create more tangible metrics of success.

If I were to do this project again, I would take more time with extensive research and continue user testing on one feature at a time. For more cohesive branding, I would change the name to reference our scheduling solution rather than imply a mental health app (see process above for research on mental health app market). I would also utilize more product design conventions to make the experience more familiar to people and their mental models.
key screensMindbrush logo
Logo and brand identity